Casting ballots in the last municipal election, in 2010. TorStar News Service

The Fine Art of Casting a Ballot

By M Adrian Brassington

Historically, Hamiltonians have returned incumbent councillors more than 90 per cent of the time. Why? Familiarity? Comfort? Better the devil you know …? Fear of things getting worse than they have been? All of the above?

I think if you were to examine election results going back to the 1970s, you’d find that on the rare occasion that an incumbent was turfed, it had more to do with questionable performance than simply wanting to give someone new a crack at the piñata. A councillor needs to really, really mess things up for people to consider replacing them.

When we vote in municipal elections, we’re hiring someone. Conversely, not returning the incumbent to office amounts to “firing” them, and this carries an unconscious discomfort the likes of which the average person would prefer to avoid.

See other articles about voting, here

Editorial: Should voting be mandatory?

In the private sector, when an employer is fielding applicants, certain considerations are made.

The most obvious is the person’s job experience within the field. Then relative job experience. Then total work history, education, activities and associations, and finally, references.

But all things being equal, how well an applicant “interviews” can play the pivotal part in the hiring process, illustrated by the practice of second — or third — interviews. So being good at hiring the right people is a skill, an art, some would say.

But you can’t hire effectively unless you know what the position demands, exactly what the successful candidate will be doing over the following four years. And I doubt that most Hamiltonians could provide a thorough job description for their councillor. I’d be curious to know if non-incumbent candidates could.

Indeed, the office of ward councillor is neither a licensed nor regulated position. There are no official “qualifications” to be met, which is why it’s commonplace to see newbie candidates with no political background attempting to ace the interview and win the election. They’re trying to buck the reality that unseating an incumbent is extremely difficult.

So what is it to cast an informed ballot for the position of councillor? I believe that ideally, we should be poring over candidates’ résumés, making comparisons, delving deep in order to create the informed opinion that goes beyond name recognition.

And then ask the following questions: What should a candidate’s work history mean to a voter? and how does it relate to the demands of the position?

Unfortunately, I suspect there generally tends not to be a thorough process of discerning who’s right for the job. Why not? It’s probably because there’s so little investment in our local governance.

In the main, residents are detached. This means that there’s really not much reason for considered deliberation, for developing informed opinions. And this is a shame, because municipal politics are far closer to being a genuine sort of democracy than the other two levels of government we vote on.

I think that for most voters, it comes down to how comfortable they feel about a candidate, whether or not they trust them, maybe how their job experiences in other fields relate to a position at City Hall, and that they’re a safe bet to look after that ward’s needs.

Here, I would offer up this caveat: In the private sector, you’d never hire someone based entirely on your intuition. Your decision would be a considered one, going beyond the perceived “feel good” of the applicant, one that takes into account everything they bring to the table.

Which leads me to offer up this gem of insight and experience from a family doctor a long time ago: “You don’t play sports to get in shape, you get in shape to play sports.”

The local governance equivalent would be: “You don’t cast a ballot to become more civically engaged. You practice civic engagement to cast a better ballot.”

M Adrian Brassington is a Hamilton writer.

Comments
16 Responses to “The Fine Art of Casting a Ballot”
  1. tanie lampy says:

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time
    as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit
    familiar of this your broadcast offered shiny clear concept

2. Kit says:

If you’re educated (or seeking an education) you will probably find a ton of opportunity in a small town.
    When job offers do come and I’ll admit, some companies may fear hiring you
    can for you and your family. For clients, you can target neighborhoods, communities or even companies.

3. Yet, there are grants that are made for equipment and
    training. Platforms: Android, Blackberry, i – Phone, i – Pad, Windows Phone.
    Selling the same things, to the same market, in the same way.

4. Look into their years of experience in managing small business
    accounts so that you can get professional advice on various
    financial matters. Further, amount of loan must be need-based, subject to ceiling of
    Rs 25,000 per borrower for purchase of machinery or equipment etc, and meeting working
    capital requirement of one operating cycle. Before you do this, examine the publication online to ensure
    that its website is user friendly.

5. Starting a small business with no money may sound impossible but
    there are ways to kick off a very profitable business without ever
    spending a single dime of your own money. When job
    offers do come and I’ll admit, some companies may fear hiring you because they fear a former owner being an employee, negotiate the best salary you can along with the best benefits you can for you and your family.
    Always choose a new account, and look for a specialized bank whenever possible.

6. Then send the postcard to all of the addresses in your area,
    and try to draw customers in. You can know all the ins and outs of business and can run a restaurant without
    fail; but would you know the first thing about installing the kitchen grills.
    Before you do this, examine the publication online to ensure that its website is user friendly.

7. Bonjour and hello to all city of Hamilton members, citizens, residences and visitors. My name is Ricky Tavares and I will be your mayor of Hamilton Ontario Canada in the near future. I was born here in city of Hamilton at St.Josephs hospital. I am here to announce now and to make this statement very public now that I will be the first mayor in Canada willing and proud to work for a minimum wage salary. I love Hamilton and I must protect our city. My colleagues, financial advisors and I have a 5 year plan to implement and generate 1 trillion dollars into the Hamilton city hall building within the next 5 years. I am sorry to announce now that I will only be your mayor for 1 term because this city is too small for me to lead and guide into a productive population. I will be moving to Ottawa to be your Prime Minister of Canada after 1 term here in the city of Hamilton as your mayor. Thank you for voting me Ricky Tavares as mayor of Hamilton on Oct 27.

Regards,” Ricky Tavares 905-515-4307 http://www.rickyseeds.com

8. The reason why I am avoiding verbal physical communication with you and the other media outlets is because I do not want to give away my secret “5 year plan” on how I will and am very capable of generating 1 trillion dollars into Hamilton cityhall building. If I am not elected this year then all the idiots, unproductive, dumbasses that did not vote for me will have to wait another 4 years for next election before I start turning Hamilton into NEW YORK city. I want to make Hamilton the richest city in the world but these stupid, selfish, whitehaired, dinosaur, cavemen mayor candidates and the media are trying to stop me and getting in my way. Why will you wait until next election to vote me as mayor of Hamilton when you can vote me as mayor of Hamilton NOW so that Hamilton gives me the platform and exposure to be able to spread my wings and aggressively generate 1 trillion dollars of foreign currency into cityhall as fast as I can before other cities start to notice and copy my 5 year business plan.

Right now my hands are tied because I am not mayor of Hamilton. I am not able to make Hamilton the richest city in the world and if I am not mayor then I will not share my secret plan with you or my competitors. Nicole, can you please ask all my mayoral candidate competitors to pullout of this election so that I am guaranteed to win ? If so, then I will appoint and hire some of my current mayoral competitors to work in my office right beside me because I can use their experience and their protection.

I am serious. This is an emergency for city of Hamilton. You must vote Ricky Tavares for mayor of Hamilton because I will “put Hamilton on the world map” and “run with the big boys”.

BTW, I do not smoke cigarettes, I do not drink alcohol and I do not smoke marijuana.
    Nicole, are you single ?

Regards,,
    Ricky Tavares
    905-515-4307

9. Violette says:

Yet, there are grants that are made for equipment and training.
    As with everything else, it is only the mindset of the entrepreneur that dictates the success and failure
    of a company. A customer is injured while using a product you
    sold and files a claim for indemnity.

10. Karla says:

Tax law about businesses in the USA is ever changing.

You can know all the ins and outs of business and can run a restaurant without fail; but would you know the first thing about installing the kitchen grills.
    Clients do not look no matter whether you’ve a small or big budgeted
    communication service.

11. Attractive portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital
    to say that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment or even I success you get entry to consistently quickly.

12. rodzaj cery says:

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.

13. Khalilah says:

Hey very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb ..
    I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds
    also? I am satisfied to search out a lot of helpful info
    right here in the submit, we want develop extra strategies
    in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . .

14. Karolyn says:

Then send the postcard to all of the addresses in your area,
    and try to draw customers in. Platforms: Android, Blackberry, i – Phone, i – Pad, Windows Phone.

Always choose a new account, and look for a specialized bank whenever possible.

15. Cole says:

If you’re educated (or seeking an education) you will
    probably find a ton of opportunity in a small town. You can know all the ins and outs of business and
    can run a restaurant without fail; but would you know the first
    thing about installing the kitchen grills. For clients,
    you can target neighborhoods, communities or even companies.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. meeting rooms